Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Tricks to Avoid Narrative Voice


Let’s imagine that our present tense story was being told as if it were a movie and happening in real time. Movies rarely pause to reflect the thoughts inside somebody’s head – that would be annoying. Instead it just keeps playing scene after scene on an endless reel. Obviously that isn’t true for all movies, nor should be true for all present tense writing. However, there are other ways to reveal information without stalling the action.

Narration tends to be an obstacle for present tense writers. Heck even I’ve tossed in the towel a few times believing that there was no way around it. Over time I began to question the very importance of it to begin with, so out of curiosity, I just completely cut it out of a scene. A tweak in the action here, a bit more emotion there, and before I knew it, I got the same point across by simply rewording the action and omitting the narration. It doesn’t work every time, but sometimes just removing it actually makes the story read and flow better. Give it a try sometime.

There are, however, other creative ways. To have a story feel as if it’s happening at that very moment becomes weird when suddenly a narrative voice hits the pause button and interrupts. Let’s imagine that our star, Jim, is in the middle of a battle scene with another gladiator. His sword clanks and sparks. Sweat sprays from his arm with each cleave. (pause) Now let’s reflect on what Jim’s thinking. Okay… what just happened? That’s what past tense stories do. They pause the story to dig deeper into the subconscious of the character allowing readers to connect with them at a deeper level, or the writer just shoves their voice into the story. As a reader we’re forced to hear those thoughts when meanwhile there’s a real battle happening at that very moment. This is where past tense and present tense divide.

In present tense we want to translate those thoughts through action. Sometimes it can be very tricky to do, so how do we get inside the head of the character without stopping the reel? How do we reflect back on a past scene? It’s not as tricky as you might think. For one, be creative. Have fun with the reader and give them more than just the story. In Darkness & Daemons I wanted the readers to connect with the characters a bit more, but I didn’t want to side track the story to build them up. Nor did I want to default to any narrative voice to translate how this person feels or thinks inside their head. In order to do this I decided to break the story up into sections. I added a Meet (character Name) section before each story that allowed the character to speak directly to the reader. It allowed me to go into more detail about each character and at the same time introduce new information that would have been extremely difficult to do in a non-stop action sequence. However, I didn’t stop there…

In later stories I wanted to bring up past scenes that were kept hidden from the reader. I chose to be careful in how I interacted with the story by cutting in past scenes, so I defaulted back to my Meet approach. I added another section called, Flashback. The Flashback is a story all to itself and is told in present tense just like the rest of them. It basically takes a past story and merges it into the story line without ever actually interfering with the current story. With this new addition I now had 3 sections; Flashback, Meet, and the Story itself. This is why I refer to them as ‘events’. Each event is basically a group of information that when combined complete the story. I can’t call it a story because the story is already within the event.

These are just a few of the ways we can use present tense writing to work for us and at the same time provide a fun and engaging experience for the reader. Just take a moment and try to imagine a way you can present your information in a unique and exciting way without breaking the action. Thank you for reading this article and please feel free to respond. I’ll add more insightful tips as I continue to explore the world of Present Tense Writing. Please note that I’m not nor claim to be a professional when it comes to writing. My views, tips, and opinions are mine alone and based off my own personal writing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment